Detagger - HTML to text converter and markup remover
Convert HTML to text
When you convert HTML to plain text the converter has a large number of options for producing good-looking text files. By default it will convert your HTML to text as accurately as possible with headings, lists and tables all faithfully preserved. However options exist should you prefer to "flatten" the output text, ready for input into a database, or to convert tables into CSV format to allow access to the data.
You can see here the result of using the software to convert an earlier version of this page using just the default options.
Using Detagger to convert to text you can
- convert HTML pages to good looking plain text (.txt) with headings, lists, and ables all nicely laid out.
- build a list of all hyperlink URLs in the document
- convert HTML email to a smaller, safer ASCII text format for archiving
- prepare web pages for insertion into a database, either as simple text, or as CSV data.
- elect to only convert the HTML in tables
Removing HTML markup
When you remove HTML tags Detagger allows you to selectively remove and edit the HTML tags that make up the HTML code in your file. As a HTML markup remover the software can
- tidy up your HTML code to make clean, faster-loading web pages for your web site.
- strip HTML tags added by Microsoft Office to make them free of page bloat
- remove non-standard tags and attributes
- remove all the in-line CSS from your HTML
- help with the donkey work in migrating your pages to CSS or XHTML
The tool supports wildcards and drag and drop operation, and a console application is available for batch operations, making it well suited to whatever mode of operation you prefer.
Although Detagger can be run from the command line, a console application is available for batch operations. This is better suited to batch use as it doesn't grab focus or attempt to display results files. Customers who register will get both the Windows and Console applications..
An API version is available for those software developers who wish to harness the power of Detagger in their own applications. The API is sold under separate license.
Download a 30-day trial of the Windows program from here :-
You can also download evaluation of the console version. This isn't time-limited, but instead will convert some of the output into UPPER CASE during the evaluation period.