Detagger - the two-in-one HTML conversion utility
When you convert HTML to plain text Detagger has a large number of options for producing good-looking text files. However as an example of it's default formatting here is the result of converting this page. Using Detagger as a converter you can
- convert HTML pages to plain text (.txt)
- convert HTML email to a smaller, safer text format for archiving
- prepare web pages for insertion into a database.
When you remove HTML tags Detagger allows you to selectively remove and edit the HTML tags that make up the HTML code in your file. As a HTML markup remover Detagger can
- tidy up your HTML code to make clean, faster-loading web pages for your website.
- remove unnecessary HTML added by Microsoft Office
- remove non-standard tags and attributes
- help with the donkey work in migrating your pages to CSS or XHTML
The tool supports wildcards and drag and drop operation, and a console version is available for batch operations, making Detagger well suited to whatever mode of operation you prefer.
Detagger costs $29.95(US) for a single user license.
The product comes with extensive documentation, which you can also read online.
Although Detagger can be run from the command line, a console version is available for batch operations. This is better suited to batch use as it doesn't grab focus or attempt to display results files. Customers who register will get both versions.
An API version may interest software developers who wish to harness the power of Detagger in their own applications. The API is sold under separate license.
Site and API licenses are available under separate license.
The current version is version 2.3 (see Detagger update history)
Download a 30-day trial of the Windows program from here :-
You can also download evaluation of the console version. This isn't time-limited, but instead will convert some of the output into UPPER CASE during the evaluation period.